Monday, September 29, 2008

leaders.

I'd like to start with two truths.

Leader: [lee-der]
1. a person or thing that leads
2. one who gives guidance and direction.
3. one who inspires.

Boss: [baws,bos]
1. a person who employs or superintends workers; manager.
2. a person who makes decisions, exercises authority, or DOMINATES.
3. to be master of or over, manage, direct or control.

Its sometimes hard to distinguish between the words leader and boss. Let me Clarify.

On one hand a "leader" can guide a "follower" into a Godly direction, while a "boss" can make the "follower" choose that direction without the "followers" input. In another hand a "boss" can make things happen then and now, while a "leader" can portray his/her direction in an enlightening manner. Or even a "boss" can decide to fire a person without reason, while a "leader" can choose to fire a person and be honest and firm.

Here's the cliff-notes version: A leader molds situations and gives his followers a choice and direction, while a boss controls the situation by exercising authority.

So here's my question for you... when you look back at your life experiences... or when God has placed you in a role of governing... did you impact your "followers"? You may not be able to think of a time where you were put in a big leadership role, but it's not always about the "big things" that make a difference. Maybe someone's idea of a leader is only expressed in the movement of large audiences, but yet a true leader could make an impact for only one. It's not about quantity, for if you're moving to impact one person for God, God can move and impact a thousand.

************************

When I was around 16 or 17 I was dumped. Normal, I know. It was the routine Godly check-up that shouted I was headed in the wrong direction too quickly (which I realize now... not so much at the time). I was hurt, sad, upset, ect... It was a normal reaction to a normal life process. Before this "life process" I was a happy-go-lucky newbie Christian, impacting my community and trying to make a difference. My family wasn't involved in church, but that didn't stop me... I was on fire. P.B. (or post breakup) I was broken, confused, I didn't understand how God would allow people to "betray me" and dismiss our so-called "friendships". You see I was so caught up in my "relationship" that I didn't allow myself to build true bridges and foundations. So when God shook what I though was a firm foundation, I landed in the middle of sand. I was left in the middle of a "Christian community" with nothing but my faith in God and my faith in myself. I actually understood what it meant to be a "leper". But I persisted, I knew that Gods plan was greater than what these "Christians" thought of me, or even my own thoughts of blaming God. I knew I was there for a reason, and even though I would sit and cry to myself every Sunday, I knew deep down, there was something more... and there was. God used my determined nature and my heart to become a true leader. Within those few months of what I deemed torture, God allowed my heart to be a proclamation to my greatest accomplishment. I impacted an entire generation, I impacted a way of life, I changed the course of history... I impacted my families lives forever. With my small accomplishment God transformed hundreds of people, the people my father impacted, the people my mother impacted, the people my friends impacted. I made a difference.

That is the reason behind this blog, because I understand leadership. By no means have I sacrificed anything of great value, but I understand why i'm a leader. I know that God has given me a true sense of leadership and heart for people. I, by NO MEANS, am perfect. GOODNESS I am FAR FAR FAR from perfect. But I'm also not just some stupid, young girl that posts on a blog to stir a pot. I post with purpose, I have meaning, and no one can sway my thinking.

I am a child of God. I am a Leader for Christ. I am not perfect. I impact to make a difference. I impact to make a change.

So next time you hear the word "leader" or "leadership", make sure you listen. Because they might actually be substituting a nicer name for "boss".


*By no means does the above stated come from the views of a church, the thoughts are mine alone.
**Stay tuned for my next blog when I discuss my thoughts on cowards.


8 comments:

Michael Goldsmith said...

I'm very proud of the woman you have become and very proud to call you my daughter. You are amazing. Don't ever forget that.

Pops

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog! You guys have impacted a ton of peoples lives (including mine)! I'm looking forward to the next blog on cowards :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! A wonderfully mature compassionate heart in a young beautiful women. It is good to see this kind of message going out to this generation. It is so welcomed as I find my family seeking this kind of passion in these days but not knowing where to find it. Keep it up! THANK YOU

Anonymous said...

Love your words. Really is some food for thought. Thank you once again for sharing your heart and giving us another way to view things.
I love you and value who you are and who your are becoming.
Keep on Keeping on!
Love ya
nina

Mel said...

It's very strange to see your Dad call you a "woman", but I guess that's exactly what's happened. I love you. I love that you are honest and open. I love that you love people - your life and heart shows that. I know the last couple of months have been hard on you as once again you've lost friends and you've worried about us. But your positive attitude and love for God shows in everything you do. I'm proud that you stand up and have a voice. I'm proud that you are learning from your own mistakes and realize that you are human. I'm glad you are still involved at a church and you didn't let this situation take you out. I know God will use your love of people for great things to further his kingdom and always remember to give all the glory back to him. I love you...

Mom

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Just always remember who is helping you to impact the world. Without him we can not do anything. Write what is on your heart, just write it out of love and not out of anger or hate. Thanks again for sharing.

Goldenchild said...

Thanks for all the comments guys! I just wanted to throw out there that I've had such space between blogs because I can't write because of anger. So that's why these are well thought and not from an angry place.

And also... those of you who like to leave comments without names should really check out my next blog... on cowards.

thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

haha..... I will be looking forward to the next blog on cowards....

love you, Lola.

And HOLY COW that is such a great picture....

Kristina